Wednesday, August 17, 2016

About Medicare Part A

How Medicare Part A Works

If you are turning 65 or you have recently found out that you are eligible for Medicare, you most likely have many questions. Figuring out how Medicare works is not always easy. There are two coverage choices with Medicare. You can get original Medicare or Medicare Advantage.

If you choose to get original Medicare, you will automatically get Part A coverage unless you choose Medicare Advantage. This coverage is for Part A, which is Hospital Insurance and Part B, which is Medical coverage. 

If you choose regular Medicare, you get coverage for 80 percent of all costs in most cases, but you are responsible for the remaining 20 percent out of your pocket. Private insurance companies provide Medicare Advantage plans. These plans cost you a monthly premium, but your coverage takes care of all expenses except for monthly premiums and deductibles or copayments.

Whichever way you choose to get Medicare, you will be covered under Part A for hospital care. Here is a guide to that section of Medicare. 

This is a general guide, and it should be noted that different individuals with certain circumstances like End-stage Renal Disease have to sign up specifically for Part A. More information can be obtained from the Department of Social Security.

Medicare Part A Services

Part A comes with either type of Medicare coverage. This coverage does not normally entail paying a premium. You use your red, white and blue Medicare card to get services from hospitals that participate in Medicare. You use your insurance-issued Medicare card for these services if you have a Medicare Advantage plan. 

Part A covers inpatient care when you are in a hospital. It also covers inpatient care at a skilled nursing facility. These facilities are not the same thing as long-term care facilities. Part A will also cover hospice care, home health care, and inpatient services in a religious non-medical health care facility. 

Part A coverage will also supply your hospital with blood from a blood bank. If your hospital has to buy the blood for you, you must pay the hospital for the first three units used in a calendar year. Otherwise, you can opt to have someone donate the blood to you.

These are general services covered by Medicare Part A. You can find out more about you are going to be covered specifically by contacting Social Security or by going online to the Medicare website. In order to understand Medicare Part B, read more on the next page.

No comments:

Post a Comment